Zero waste living is a philosophy of circular consumption that aims to eliminate waste altogether. While achieving perfection in zero waste is a far-fetched idea, we can make progress towards it by adopting simple tips and swapping out disposable products with reusable ones. Zero waste products are typically plastic-free and come in reusable or compostable packaging. In this section, we will discuss the best zero waste products for different aspects of life, including the kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor activities, among others.
Essential Zero Waste Kitchen Products
The kitchen is a great place to start a zero waste journey. There are countless no waste products that can take the place of single-use and plastic products. Some of the best zero waste kitchen products include:
- Zero Waste Food Storage: Old glass jars are the best zero waste food storage containers. For new options, Caraway offers BPA-free and ceramic-coated glass containers, while ECOlunchbox sells stainless steel bento boxes and nesting food storage tins. Wax wraps are an alternative to tin foil, plastic bags, and plastic wrap. Bee’s Wrap and Khala & Co. offer beeswax wraps and vegan soy wax wraps, respectively.
- Compost Bins: Natural Home Brands offers collection bins that make apartment composting easy. For indoor composting, check out the worm farm from Uncommon Goods or Subpod for outdoor compost bins.
Zero Waste Eco-Friendly Products For The Bathroom
The bathroom is another area where we can make a significant impact on reducing waste. Some of the best zero waste products for the bathroom are:
- Zero Waste Toilet Paper: Who Gives a Crap makes eco-friendly toilet paper that doesn’t need to be washed between wipes. For reusable family cloths, Marley’s Monsters offers brightly-colored Toilet Unpaper. A bidet from Tushy can also help reduce toilet paper use.
- Reusable Razors: Safety razors are a great zero waste alternative to disposable razors.
- Zero Waste Period Products: Saalt period cups and Hevea natural rubber cups are non-toxic and give back to communities in need. ModiBodi offers leak-proof sustainable period underwear for lighter days.
- Zero Waste Bags: Reusable bags are essential zero waste shopping items. ZeroWasteStore.com offers organic cotton shopping and produce bags.
Eco Zero Waste Products For Out & About
For those who are always on the go, a zero waste kit can help reduce waste. Some of the best zero waste products for outdoor activities are:
- Reusable Water Bottles & Mugs: Hydroflask and Klean Kanteen’s stainless steel eco-friendly water bottles are great for staying hydrated without using plastic bottles. They also offer insulation for both hot and cold beverages.
- Reusable Cutlery: To-Go Ware and Jungle Culture make reusable organic bamboo cutlery.
- Zero Waste Sandwich & Snack Bags: Stasher offers silicone reusable bags for sandwiches and snacks.
Zero Waste Beauty Products
Zero waste beauty products are better for us and the environment. Some of the best zero waste beauty products are:
- Zero Waste Dental Products: Brush with Bamboo offers bamboo toothbrushes, while Bite Toothpaste Bits are toothpaste tablets that come in glass jars.
- Zero Waste Deodorant: Ethique offers an all-natural bar version, while Meow Meow Tweet offers deodorant creams and compostable tubes.
- Zero Waste Hair Products: Suds & Co. and Ethique offer shampoo and conditioner bars. Plaine Products offer recyclable aluminum bottles that are refillable.
- Zero Waste Skin Care: Fat and the Moon and Meow Meow Tweet offer plastic-free skincare products. ATTITUDE offers zero waste sunscreen in compostable cardboard tubes.
- Zero Waste Makeup: Axiology offers vegan lipstick with ten ingredients or less. Dab Herb offers refillable makeup, while Elate offers vegan zero waste products in bamboo housing.
Zero Waste Swaps For Cleaning
Cleaning products are another area where we can reduce waste. Some of the best zero waste cleaning products are:
- Zero Waste Dish Soap: Blueland and etee offer bar versions of dish soap.
- Foaming Hand Soap: Cleancult offers a refillable glass bottle and compostable pods for foaming hand soap.
- Clean Essentials Kit: Grove Collaborative offers a kit with refillable glass bottles and concentrates for all-purpose cleaner, glass cleaner, and more.
Other Zero Waste Lifestyle Essentials
Other zero waste essentials include:
- Produce Bags: Reusable produce bags are a great alternative to plastic bags.
- Reusable Paper Towels: Marley’s Monsters offers reusable paper towels made from organic cotton.
- Bamboo Straw: Jungle Culture offers reusable organic bamboo straws.
- Compostable Packaging: Who Gives a Crap offers toilet paper and paper towels in compostable packaging.
- Low-Waste Lifestyle: The zero-waste movement is all about reducing waste in all